With collaboration from various kind folks in the Dead.net vining community, our own erickat prepared this handy guide explaining how vining works hereabouts. Many thanks to all involved, and vine on! --
Dead.Net Vines - What It Is & How It Works
(We're changing some things for 2009)
BACKGROUND: The concept of a "vine" is music sharing through conventional means (e.g. mailing cd's or dvd's) with the sign-up list being on-line. The basic idea is that someone starts (seeds) a vine, made up of one or multiple shows,and sends it via mail to the first person who signs up. That person makes a copy for themselves and sends the ORIGINAL media on to the next person on the list. As more people sign up, it continues to grow and grow - hence the name "vine".
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Make sure you can deal with the media format. Many vines are in audio CD format, so the minimum basic requirement is that you are knowledgeable and capable of copying audio CD's. Other vines are in DVD format, which means you at least need the capability of reading a DVD. Yet others are in SHN or FLAC format- if you sign up for one of these, you need to know how to deal with those formats. Help is readily available - just ask. Here are some helpful links:
VINE: An original physical package of music or video (cd's/dvd's) being passed from person to person
VINEYARD: A topic within Dead.net (where all the vine forums exist) SEEDER: A person who initiates a vine (creates the original "seed" media) PM: Short for "Private Message" - communication provided through dead.net SIGNUP LIST: The list of people who sign up to receive the package. Note - Be careful to get the most up to date version - you may have to go back a few pages from the end to find it.
POSTING: The act of leaving a message in a forum (very important) Post to sign-up Post when a vine arrives ; Post after a vine is sent.
New VINE Process (changes for 2009):
1. Check the Vinedex (updated from time to time, but may be out of date) to make sure it hasn't already been vined. Note - not everything is fair game for vining. Check the following before vining anything:
a) The Vinedex
b) Dicks Picks
If it's not in those places, it is generally fair game. No copyrighted material, please Taper friendly bands only. (Marye may veto a particular vine for copyright or similar reasons.)
2. Post your vine info here (without signup list) - maybe include a note reminding people not to sign-up until it has its own topic.
3. Marye creates a forum topic with the vine info & a blank sign-up list and posts a link in the new vines area (e.g. VINE XXXX Lives HERE - with a link)
4. Then people go to that vine & start signing up NOTE - to make it easier on Marye, you could also PM her with the info. No early sign-ups - Any sign-ups before the vine has its own home will be ignored
SIGNING UP FOR A VINE:
1. Find a VINE you want to sign-up for.
2. Locate the most recent and most complete LIST (towards the end of the vine)
3. Copy the list & paste it into a new message, adding your username at the bottom.
4. Post the message & PM the person directly before you with your name & mailing address. Note the fact that you signed up for this vine (a spreadsheet is a good idea) (it can take a long time between when you sign up and when it arrives, so you really need to track what you're on the hook for & when to expect it- it's a responsibility)
5. Check your PM inbox and the vines you've signed up for periodically, so you know if someone is looking for you AND so you know when to expect each vine's arrival. Remember, if someone posts that they sent it to you & that's the last we know... it will look like you were the one that dropped the ball. If you don't receive a vine when you thought it was coming, then Post
6. When the vine arrives, post to dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you received it.
7. Take care of the media - don't scratch 'em or crack 'em or put your fingerprints all over them - clean media means a longer lived vine
8. Make a copy for yourself & mail the ORIGINALS to the next person on the list.(If the person directly behind you on the list hasn't sent you their address, PM them. If no response after 3 or 4 days, PM the next in line - but post to the vine so people know)
9. Please make sure to properly package and address the media before mailing it. We have had some unfortunate losses, due to bad addresses, packages falling apart and just plain lost in the mail. Padded envelopes are cheap - and make sure they're securely taped & properly addressed.
10. AFTER you mail it, post on dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you have sent it to the next person on the list. It is your responsibility to remember what you sign up for and be anticipating its arrival. Post messages to the vine upon receipt and again, after you have sent it on.
1. If you did not receive a PM or email from the person who is next on the list, PM them. If no response, then PM the following person for an address and send it to them, if they respond. If they don't, PM the next person - but in any case, make a posting on Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) about what you're doing. This is very important. It's the only way we know what's going on.
2. If you were expecting a vine and did not receive it - PM the person who was going to send it to you. In any event, post to Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) with the circumstances, so everyone knows what is going on. It can't be overstated how important POSTING is - just knowing what is going on will prevent speculation, accusations & hard feelings.
CAVEAT EMPTOR As a friend of mine always says ... "don't sweat the small stuff" - "and by the way - it's all small stuff."
Life happens - car accidents, arrests, people get sick - people abscond - but you can't get overly upset about any of it, especially when it's all free. Sometimes vines disappear - and many times, they are revived or re-seeded by kind folk. This is the most unrestrictive & trusting vine community I know of - and the reason we emphasize posting is so we can keep the music flowing - not to accuse or condemn. If we know a vine is lost, then someone can re-seed and keep the music going. Nobody should get upset or make personal attacks over what happens here. In the past, we've had all sorts of reasons why people just disappear - and when they came back, we were overjoyed that they did. Sometimes, if a person is known to be unreliable, their name will be removed from the vine lists - but that's a rare occurrence.
Thanks, but isn't it time Santa left you a DVD burner? :>)
"That path is for, your steps alone."
I don’t think that any of these shows have been vined yet, if they have let me know. As of right now this is going to be a 2 part vine. Look for part 2 in a week or two. Flac/Shn files on 6 CD-R’s. Includes –
Grateful Dead - April 23, 1984
New Haven Coliseum - New Haven, CT
SBD -> Cassette Master -> Cassette (TDK SA-X90 / Maxell XLIIS-90)
Cassette (Sony TC-WE475) -> Sony R500 (Pass Through) -> SEK'D Prodif Plus -> Samplitude Professional v8.01 -> FLAC
(3 Discs Audio / 2 Discs FLAC)
Transferred and Edited By Charlie Miller
February 22, 2006
-- Thanks to Paul Scotton and Joani Walker for the Cassettes
-- Drums and Encore patched from (FOB) ATM2s-> Cass Master -> CD
-- Seamless transition between discs 2 and 3
-- This is an upgrade to all previous circulating sbd's
d1t01 - Jack Straw
d1t02 - Sugaree
d1t03 - Cassidy
d1t04 - Dupree's Diamond Blues
d1t05 - Hell In A Bucket
d1t06 - Might As Well
d2t01 - Iko Iko
d2t02 - Lost Sailor ->
d2t03 - Saint Of Circumstance ->
d2t04 - Uncle John's Band ->
d2t05 - Only A Fool ->
d2t06 - Drums ->
d3t01 - Space ->
d3t02 - Spanish Jam ->
d3t03 - Truckin' ->
d3t04 - Black Peter ->
d3t05 - Around And Around ->
d3t06 - Good Lovin'
d3t07 - Day Job
Grateful Dead - June 26, 1984
Merriweather Post Pavilion - Columbia, MD
SBD -> Cassette Master -> Cassette -> Dat (48k)
Dat (Sony R500) -> Samplitude Professional v9.11 -> Cool Edit Pro v2.0 -> FLAC
(3 Discs Audio / 2 Discs FLAC)
All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller
October 8, 2007
Sennheiser 421 -> Cassette Master -> CD (By R. Pauline) supplies:
Tennessee Jed (3:10 - 5:24)
Space (7:40 - 9:57)
Crowd/Tuning (complete track)
Day Job (0:00 - 0:03)
-- Set 2 is seamless
-- Cool Edit Pro used for pitch correction
-- Added patch to Tennessee Jed (missing from previous seed)
-- Thanks to Joe B. Jones for his help with this project
d1t01 - Tuning
d1t02 - Casey Jones
d1t03 - Feel Like A Stranger
d1t04 - Althea
d1t05 - Cassidy
d1t06 - Tennessee Jed ->
d1t07 - Looks Like Rain
d1t08 - Might As Well
d2t01 - China Cat Sunflower ->
d2t02 - I Know You Rider
d2t03 - Man Smart (Woman Smarter) ->
d2t04 - He's Gone ->
d2t05 - Drums ->
d3t01 - Space ->
d3t02 - Don't Need Love ->
d3t03 - Truckin' ->
d3t04 - Wang Dang Doodle ->
d3t05 - Stella Blue ->
d3t06 - Around And Around ->
d3t07 - Good Lovin'
d3t08 - Crowd/Tuning
d3t09 - Keep Your Day Job
Disc One, 74:12
1. Lost Sailor >
2. St of Circumstance >
3. Deal (end set 1)
4. Shakedown Street >
5. Playin in the Band >
6. Terrapin Station >
7. Drums/ Space >
Disc Two 43:52
1. Space Dripping >
2. Space meets Jerry >
3. Playin in the Band >
4. Truckin >
5. Spoonful >
6. Stella Blue >
7. Going Down the Road
Feeling Bad >
8. One More Saturday Night
9. E: Keep Your Day Job/
From the Merry Prankster Tree round 5, SHN branch
9. drums cut @ 3:24
2. 2 static bursts @ 2:06
4. Whistle to start song, and "Sweet Jane gets a sex change"
9. song cuts at 2:40
"You know the one thing we need is a left handed monkey wrench....."
Hope you have a fantastic Christmas.
"I've stayed in every blue-light cheap hotel. Can't win for tryin. Dust off those rusty strings just one more time. Gonna make em shine."
I'll just ignore it... I'm going to be traveling tomorrow so there will probably be a it of a delay getting this posted. Please bear with me...
well nevermind then. i wonder why i did`nt sign up for it then hmm ..
just delete my post mary .
as the Dead Beat Vine.
Dead Play the Beatles
Day Tripper GD 06-25-85
Come Together Dead 07-07-03
Eleanor Rigby Jam JGB 02-12-80
Tomorrow Never Knows GD 11/29/94
Blackbird Ratdog 11-09-99
Get Back PLQ 10-16-00
Why Don't We Do It In The Road GD 04-07-85
Hey Jude GD 03-22-90 *Complete version; Jude>Reprise patched together, no Fantasy
Strawberry Fields Forever PLQ 02-08-02
Rain GD 10-09-94
Revolution GD 07-02-85
She Said Dead 07-07-03
Dear Prudence Reconstruction 7-8-79
I Am The Walrus PLQ 09-01-02
I Want To Tell You JGB 03-08-87 *1 of 2 JGB times played; other in '76
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds GD 03-17-95
All Too Much GD 03-26-95
While My Guitar Gently Weeps PLQ 11-30-01 *Only time played
NOTES: The only changes made to the songs are getting them all to one volume level and fades. I did the best I could with fades, but some are rather abrupt due to the fact that one song goes right into the next. Overall I think it turned out good. You might consider burning this in TAO instead of DAO - I added 1 second of silence at the beginning and end of each song to separate them, but TAO is still the way to go IMHO.
My reasoning for deciding which versions to include is listed below:
Day Tripper GD 06-25-85 Suggested by David Gans
Come Together Dead 07-07-03 Suggested by a fellow CDead member. He said that he believed that Joan's super hot performance got this one going.
Eleanor Rigby Jam JGB 02-12-80 One of very few. All are ragged. Chose this one as one of best.
Tomorrow Never Knows GD 11/29/94 Suggested to me by someone on the CDead group I think.
Blackbird Ratdog 11-09-99 One I had.... The two GD versions really sucked
Get Back PLQ 10-16-00 Not played much, GD version very poor
Why Don't We Do It In The Road GD 04-07-85 Well, it IS a Beatles song...less lame than the others (I was almost tempted to leave it off entirely)
Hey Jude GD 03-22-90 *Complete version; Jude>Reprise patched together, dropping "Dear Mr. Fantasy" entirelly; There is a slight "hitch" between Jude and the Reprise but I left it as is to keep as much music as possible without including "Fantasy." I had originally thought of using the 3/1/69 version, but David Gans suggested this one as the better choice. Even though the '69 one has Pigpen, this one is better.
Strawberry Fields Forever PLQ 02-08-02 Pretty hot version, although a bit hollow; it also features some interesting hints to Eleanor Rigby.
Rain GD 10-09-94 I perused The Compendium Volume III and found this to be one of the better versions, which, upon hearing it, it is.
Revolution GD 07-02-85 I listened to all of the versions, and this one shone above the rest. I could have sworn that there was a really good one from '90, but, when I listened, well, I guess I was mistaken.
She Said Dead 07-07-03 Joan smokes on this puppy!
Dear Prudence Reconstruction 7-8-79 Suggested here as a good version in lieu of the later JGB versions - it has pretty much what he played with the JGB, with horns, and back when he was healthy.
All Too Much GD 03-26-95 Someone here suggested this one.
I Want To Tell You JGB 03-08-87 *1 of 2 JGB times played; The '76 version is ragged which is a shame as Donna and Keith were part of the JGB back then. I to go with a JGB version instead of the GD versions as Jerry was in much better health. Also, the JGB allowed him to stretch out in a different direction.
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds GD 03-17-95 Best version according to The Compendium Volume III.
I Am The Walrus PLQ 09-01-02 - personal favorite, I attended and we believed that PLQ was not going to tour anymore....
While My Guitar Gently Weeps PLQ 11-30-01 Bitter sweet to hear this one as it was the day after George died. It was only played once; I wish they had included this in their repertoire, or at least pulled it out every so often as a surprise. Warren does this one "just exactly perfect."
My notes on this . This is a sweet compilatoin here . something i picked up on LL.
I converted and burned to CDR WAV. I did not change anything. (in regards to burn note above)
Any Beatles - Dead fan should love this one I hope you all enjoy !!
Many thank go out to everyone who contributed to this beutiful compilation !!